"Referral Partner Referral" behavior and usefullness

referral-partners
reports

(Jordan Novak) #1

In a Contact Search, the Actions menu includes the option of “Create Referral Partner Referral”, this seems to attach the selected contacts to a referral partner, but the only place I can find this relationship inside Infusionsoft is in the Referral Partner Referral report.
I ran a test, and new orders did not automatically attach to the assigned Referral Partner for commissions — so, what’s the point of the Referral Partner Referral feature and what is it useful for?

(Martin Cash) #2

@James_Mefford I tested this as well and the partner did not get credit for the commissioned product. I set up the scenario, then did a shopping cart order and the referral partner was not tied to the order.

(James Mefford) #3

Testing this. Just to clarify, we are setting a referral partner manually to a contact, and then placing a shopping cart order for a product that referral partner should see commission on, trying to get the referral partner to show up in the order information?

(Jordan Novak) #4

That sounds right. If the contact’s orders are not automatically set to
the contact’s assigned referral partner, then what does assigning a
referral partner to a contact actually do?

(James Mefford) #5

Jordan, do you happen to have a specific example I can take a look at (A contact, and an order that did not list the affiliate you manually assigned) I will need your app name. I want to take a look at your settings to see if I can pinpoint the issue.

(James Mefford) #6

Also, another quick question surrounding your settings. In your CRM>Settings under Referral Partner Defaults, what is your current tracking method set as? Is it ‘Cookies Only’ or ‘Referral History and Cookies’?

(James Mefford) #7

Just finished a series of tests, because the thought is, if I set a referral partner manually via the action, and then that contact places an order, the referral partner should appear on the order. I was able to get this to happen, and also pinpoint a couple reasons why it might not happen.

In your CRM>Settings>Referral Partner Defaults, you will need to ensure that the tracking method is set to ‘Referral History & Cookies’ and not just ‘Cookies’ as a manual referral partner being set on a contact will not have any cookies to work off of (I am sure you know that.)

The affiliate needs to be active, and not inactive (The only reason I listed this is because I ran a test with a test affiliate who was inactive).

And the affiliate will need to be a part of a commission program that pays out on the product you are placing test orders with.

The successful test I ran included the following: Setting a contact affiliate manually through the 'Create Referring Referral via the action, ensuring that my CRM>Settings>ReferralPartnerDefault tracking method was set to Referring History & Cookies.
I then placed a test order for my contact, and the order came through with my affiliate attached.

I performed the same test but changed my Referral Tracking Method to just cookies, and the order did not include the affiliate.

I would say loop in and double check that your referral tracking method is set correctly, as this should work the way you think it should.

(Martin Cash) #8

My referral tracking method was indeed set to cookies only. After I changed that setting, it worked as expected.

(Jordan Novak) #9

Thanks for all of the testing and feedback. This answers all of my questions.