Can’t believe this happened. I went to send a broadcast to my contacts in a few different states. I went to recipient options, “New Search,” and selected all the relevant states from the list. Sent the email.
When I look back, I realize that the number it went to was oddly low. I discovered it only went to contacts whose billing state was listed as the abbreviation (NJ, PA, DE, etc.) but didn’t go to ANY that had their state listed as the state name (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, etc.). Really disappointed that IS hasn’t made this intuitive yet. I’ve seen similar issues in other places.
I’m going through and mass-updating my contacts with state names now (changing them to the abbreviations), but that’s a rather silly project to be spending my evening on, it seems.