Referral Partners should get commissions for future orders?

Hello all,

I have a question about referral partners.

This is what I want to happen - I will have people signup to be referral partners to help promote my services. I created the commission program and specific tracking urls they can use to refer people. Once they refer someone and an order is made they should receive a commission. However, I want my partners to receive additional commissions for any future orders that might be made from the person they referred to me.

Example:

Joe refers Bob. Bob places order after 1 month. Bob places an order again in 3 months for same service. Bob then places an additional order 2 months later. So Bob has placed 3 orders. Joe should receive commission on those 3 orders.

By default is this setup in infusionsoft to handle this already or do I need to adjust additional settings for this to occur.

Thanks!

1 Like

So, I have seen this a number of ways. I have seen businesses that keep the affiliate on, and their lead tracking never expires, meaning they get a commission on any orders that lead makes, that contain a commission eligible product (or a default commission on all products if one is set up)

I have also seen customers utilize the tracking expire option, only allowing affiliates to receive commission on possible orders over the period of 1 day, 2 weeks, 60-90 days, or anything in between.

This part of the question is a little out of my realm as I have never personally ran an affiliate program, but I do know its based on your personal preference on how you want to repay your affiliates for the leads they have brought your way.

As for what is default in Infusionsoft, Lead tracking is set to ‘Latest Referring’ which means, if a customer clicks one affiliate link, but then clicks another affiliates link, by chance, before placing an order, the new affiliate would be the one on the lead’s record and order.

The Affiliate Tracking is also set to unlimited, at default, if you set up a webform with the referral partner creation snippet, or have an action set, but this is a setting that our customers usually assess when they are building the referral partner creation process.

I know a number of our community members either run, or are a part of affiliate programs, and it will be good to get their perspective on this, as I have never personally ran or been in one, but I did want to share some information on what Infusionsoft is set to do at ‘default’.

1 Like

This will happen by default. Just make sure what @James_Mefford mentioned that your tracking cookie is set to never expire. I would also make sure that you are using cookie, referral history and IP tracking. The last thing you want is for an affiliate to call you up and ask why they didn’t get commission on a sale :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Martin if I understand this correctly then:

FIRST ORDER

• Contact clicks Referrer’s own hyperlink, gets cookie and thereby OrderId Sale Referral Partner= ReferrerId
  • Contact phones our orderline, our telephonists choose ReferrerId within Order from dropdown menu, thereby OrderId Sale Referral Partner= ReferrerId

SUBSEQUENT ORDERS

• Contact clicks Referrer’s own hyperlink, gets cookie and thereby OrderId Sale Referral Partner= ReferrerId
  • Contact phones our orderline, our telephonists choose ReferrerId within Order from dropdown menu, thereby OrderId Sale Referral Partner= ReferrerId OR WILL THE SALE REFERRAL PARTNER FIELD BE POPULATED AUTOMATICALLY (WHICH WOULD BE THE PREFERRED SITUATION)

I have changed the settings to How to choose Referral Partner = First referring.
I had the Referral Partner tracking method = Referral history and cookies.
Are these settings enabling the above tracking requirement for subsequent orders?

Many thanks for your help, Han.!
Referrer-Contact-permalink|690x306

I don’t know about the ReffererID drop-down menu question - I haven’t tested that personally. I’ll check it out and let you know. In general though, subsequent orders should refer to the original affiliate as long as the affiliate is in a commission program containing the product/service in question…or if the commission program has no specific products specified, it will default to ALL products and services. I would suggest enabling the “Use IP Address” as a backup mechanism too.

Thank you for looking into this Martin. Attached is a recent FIRST order taken over the phone (Offline).
Telephonists ask Bo whom he was referred by… in casu Sale Referral Partner = ReferrerId = Han van de Braak (me). So here’s the thing… if I had referred Bo for a previous sale and the telephonists would have started the attached Offline order, would the Sale Referral Partner field be populated automatically with me as the ReferrerId with the settings I have right now in the Referral Partner Defaults? It concerns the purchase of eligible Products within an Referrer Programme a Referrer is in, would this automatically have linked my ReferrerId to this OrderId. I hope I am making myself clear. Anyway, thank you in advance for your help and may I take this opportunity to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas. Han.