How to send an email every month with new attachments?

I have to send an email to my clients with a document attached. The attachment changes, but the email not so much, or not at all. Only thing changing in the email is the month, so each email would say Activity for last month or Activity for July. The attachment is always the same type, but the data changes to reflect that one client’s activity for that previous month.

Hi @Robert_Russell. The best idea that comes to mind, is some sort of simple looping campaign, but you would need to go into the email each month, and replace the file, and republish. If the contacts receive the following month email on different days, this could be a hurdle, but based on how the system works with publishing emails, the attachment would need to be manually updated.

@James_Mefford, I could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like the attachment has different data for each contact. Is that correct, @Robert_Russell? If so, there are some ideas I can think of.

Yes. It is basically an invoice that is based on levels of activity. In this case, each client is a hotel, and each month they have a list of reservations that we bill them for. I summarize each month in Excel and then create a PDF for each hotel every month. Naturally, this document changes each month.

Thanks,
Rob

Even though the document changes every month, is it the same document for every contact?

No. The document is has all reservations for that hotel for that month, so it is different for each contact. Each contact represents a hotel, so they each get their own PDF in a given month. There are about 20 statements each month, one for each hotel. Right now I email them, but automatic reminders would be nice.

Thanks,
Rob

That’s what I thought. The only thing I can come up with is that you store the documents somewhere that creates a URL like Amazon S3 or Wordpress and that URL lives in a custom field. Instead of attaching the doc to the email, you would merge in the custom text field (it will be clickable when the email is received) so that when clicked, it would download.

Not sure if it’s worth your time to change out the hosted URL each time.

1 Like

Thank you, those are great ideas. But you are right, I don’t think it will be worth changing URL each time. I was looking for a way to send email with actual attachment instead of URL, but sounds like that is not possible.

Thanks,
Rob

Unfortunately not :frowning: