Custom merge field not showing up as a hyperlink

How do I get hyperlink info to files placed in a custom merge field to show up as a hyperlink in all browsers and not as text in some

Hi @Dr_Ralph_Boyce Can you provide the community with a little more information on this. Where are you seeing this work, and where are you seeing this not work. I haven’t ran across a question like this yet, but I do know that our emails are encoded in a pretty standard HTML format, that is recognized properly by most major mail clients, and Chrome and Firefox browsers.

An example of something I have seen before is, if I design an email, I have seen it look great in outlook and gmail, but look a bit off-putting in my Yahoo inbox, as yahoo renders HTML in a different way than the other major inboxes. Some would say dated…

If you can provide a little more insight into what you are experiencing, I want to see if anyone in the community might be of assistance.

@Dr_Ralph_Boyce,

The behavior of hyperlinks is managed on the browser/internet settings level of the user. You cannot force the link to be active when they set this as the behavior. All browsers, by default, will show it as an actual link. The only scenario that this will not happen is if it is expressly dis-abled.

1 Like

Mr. Borelli,

Thank you for you feedback. This was not an issue 5 years ago. I still have some of my old campaigns which work.

My application is PHQ90190

CAMPAIGN PROBLEM 1:

Objective:

To send a file unique to a contact in a general email.

METHODS TRIED:

• Created a Contact Custom field in infusion
  • Copied and placed the web file link into each Contact.Custom Field
  • Merged the custom field into the email (e.g. Campaign Prophetic Word 1-1)
  • Incidentally, files were uploaded into Company Files.
  • When Contacts are attached to the Campaign, On computers the links do not seem to be a problem. However, on some mobile phone, when the email is opened, the Hyperlink is in TEXT format.
  • PROBLEM: This is a church and perishers are mostly 45-85 years. They just know how to do the basics.

WORK AROUND:

• Created CAMPAIGN Prophetic Word A – 1 – 20
  • Using Hyperlink and choosing File download … THIS OPTION WORKS PERFECTLY. However as you see a unique file has to be created for each.

OBSERVATIONS

• Because these hyperlinks in the Contact Custom MergeFields are ending in ID instead of the file name and extension, this challenge is persisting

SUGGESTION:

• If it were possible to replicate the way the Create Hyperlink sees the File download in the emails in the sequences for the Contact.Custom Field this would solve the problem and we could really explore many more campaign development options.

I AM

RalphHBoyce

Dr. Ralph H. Boyce, ThD., D.Div

Senior Pastor

Saint Zoe Parish Church

Email warning: the information in this e-mail and any attachment(s) is confidential and is intended to be read only by those persons to whom it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message and any attachments from your computer immediately. Unless you are the intended recipient(s) or his/her/their authorized representative you are not authorized to, and must not, read, reproduce, copy, distribute, use, amend, disseminate, disclose and/or publish this message or any part of it without the written permission of Zoe Ministries International - Canada. Any copies made by the intended recipient(s) or is/her/their authorized representative are for the purpose of completing successful electronic transmission to the named recipient and then only on the condition that these copies, with this notice attached, are kept confidential until destruction.

Brother James,

Thank you for you feedback. This was not an issue 5 years ago. I still have some of my old campaigns which work.

My application is PHQ90190

CAMPAIGN PROBLEM 1:

Objective:

To send a file unique to a contact in a general email through a Campaign.

METHODS TRIED:

• Created a Contact Custom field in infusion
  • Copied and placed the web file link into each Contact.Custom Field
  • Merged the custom field into the email (e.g. Campaign Prophetic Word 1-1)
  • Incidentally, files were uploaded into Company Files.
  • When Contacts are attached to the Campaign, On computers the links do not seem to be a problem. However, on some mobile phone, when the email is opened, the Hyperlink is in TEXT format.
  • PROBLEM: This is a church and perishers are mostly 45-85 years. They just know how to do the basics.

WORK AROUND:

• Created CAMPAIGN Prophetic Word A – 1 – 20
  • Using Hyperlink and choosing File download … THIS OPTION WORKS PERFECTLY. However as you see a unique file has to be created for each.

OBSERVATIONS

• Because these hyperlinks in the Contact Custom MergeFields are ending in ID instead of the file name and extension, this challenge is persisting

SUGGESTION:

• If it were possible to replicate the way the Create Hyperlink sees the File download in the emails in the sequences for the Contact.Custom Field this would solve the problem and we could really explore many more campaign development options.

I AM

RalphHBoyce

Dr. Ralph H. Boyce, ThD., D.Div

Senior Pastor

Saint Zoe Parish Church

Email warning: the information in this e-mail and any attachment(s) is confidential and is intended to be read only by those persons to whom it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message and any attachments from your computer immediately. Unless you are the intended recipient(s) or his/her/their authorized representative you are not authorized to, and must not, read, reproduce, copy, distribute, use, amend, disseminate, disclose and/or publish this message or any part of it without the written permission of Zoe Ministries International - Canada. Any copies made by the intended recipient(s) or is/her/their authorized representative are for the purpose of completing successful electronic transmission to the named recipient and then only on the condition that these copies, with this notice attached, are kept confidential until destruction.

The only thing that might come to mind then would be if you were using the legacy email builder for those that still work but the beta (new) email builder is associated with the ones that don’t?