Best Practice to accurately attribute product sales to promotion

I am trying to track which sales come from list broadcasts I am doing rather than from sales purchased from contacts being in an evergreen campaign.

I tried tagging all contacts I was sending my promo broadcast to, so I could search for product sales based on that tag later. The issue is that some contacts enter a different email when purchasing than what is on their contact record and a new contact is created. When this happens, I cannot do a tag search on the new contact to see that they purchased the product do to the promotional broadcast.

I have spent a day (and many hours with support) coming up with some possibilities for work arounds (all of which are a little tedious and complicated), so I wanted to check in with the community to hear thoughts on this.

Note: I cannot apply a tag as a purchase action for the product or apply a tag after a successful product purchase because some people not in the campaign could also receive that tag. Then I would be counting people who purchased but weren’t part of the promotion.

Any suggestions to get the most accurate numbers for purchases attributed to the promotion broadcast?

Make sure those who are part of the promotion have a promotion tag. Then use purchase tags to indicate the purchase (for anyone and everyone). In campaign logic, use the case of both the product and promotion tag having been set and you’re good.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Can you expand on the last sentence?

I have a promo tag applied at the start of the promotion (specific to promo) and also apply a tag on product purchase, which all purchasing contacts get.

I still don’t understand how I would be able to determine who purchased due to this specific promo and who purchased because they were in an evergreen campaign without diving into each contact and evaluating.

What am I missing here?

Another thought is to feed a promo code in the URL link that contact who purchases from the order form through the email link would have applied to there record. This seems accurate though a few extra steps.

Thanks for the help so far.

@CfromATX,

Something like this:

If my logic here is correct, I would still have to filter through those who were grouped in the non-promotion purchase sequence. The reason is that some contacts are created at purchase when a contact in promotion uses a different email on the order form; in this case, a new contact is created. The new contact would not have the promo tag and go into the non-promotion purchase sequence. This is what I am trying to sort through.

The promo I ran 2 weeks ago had about 30% of the contacts purchasing with an email not in the CRM. Before catching this, there were many sales I was not attributing to the promotion.

I can baseline the expected amount of non-promo emails to be made and subtract the total daily sales over a period from the baseline sales. This is just a little more approximate than exact.

Can I set something up with a decision diamond to sort contacts that are not tagged in the way I am specifying? I hope I am explaining thoroughly enough here…

You might add the promotion tag as an exit tag to the non-promotion sequence (which will pull them out of it) and as an entry goal to the in promotion sequence (which will move those previously not in it into that sequence)

I still don’t see how this would work…

I have 2 contacts land on the same order form: 1 in promotion with email A, 1 not in promotion with email B.

The 1 in promotion (who has already been tagged with a unique promo tag) enters a different email (email C) than is saved in his contact info into the order form and purchases.

The contact not in promotion purchases as well.

Because the contact in promotion uses a different email (email C) than the one on his contact record (email A), infusionsoft creates a new contact for email C. For sake of example, no other identifying information is on the contact record of email A. So checking for duplicates cannot happen.

Contact with email C is created on purchase and is tagged with the product purchase but does not have the promotion tag that contact with email A has.

Contact with email B also purchased the product and has the purchase tag and no promotion tag.

How would I use the decision diamond logic to know that email B was not in promotion and email C–while not in promotion–is from a contact who was in promotion and to credit the promotion with the sale?

@CfromATX, at this point to at least have a quick fix, I think I’d create a separate product for this promotion. Clone the order forma and pull in this product and just use it for the promotion. Not ideal, but at least you can track it.

Thank you Cheryl. I’m happy to know I was not overlooking something obvious here.

1 Like