Api rate limit via legacy token

Hello!

After reviewing the rate limits for the legacy authentication mode, there is a piece I’d like to try to clarify. The docs specify that the limits are per application, rather than per account. Is this the case? I work on an application that communicates with multiple Infusionsoft accounts, and I do believe I was once told that the API limit is shared between them somehow. That would be surprising to me and I’m not sure how the API limit would be tracked if not on a per account basis.

If anyone can check or disconfirm this, it would be very helpful, thank you!

If you are using the legacy api key authentication, then yes the throttle is by Infusionsoft application (an api call directly to an application). If you are using OAuth the throttle is by client_id enforced by our API Proxy. Please note that the throttle quotas and behavior is different between the two.

can I ask how the application is defined? This is different from an infusionsoft account (namely, the thing an application would access the data of)?

This is definitely a question regarding the legacy method. Part of what is stemming this question is that I’m seeing different limiting behavior in dev vs prod environments.

Application in this context is an Infusionsoft Account. xxx.infusionsoft.com (xxx being the application). Not sure what you mean by dev vs prod. There is only one environment for Infusionsoft Applications for developers.