Adding a tag with an email click

OK, I know this is basic, but I’m stumped (and I’ve been in IT since the EDP days)…

When a client clicks on an email link how do you start a campaign? My thought is you apply a tag, but I can’t figure out how to do this.

Thanks
Dave

1 Like

Same your question [client clicks on an email link how do you start a campaign? My thought is you apply a tag, but I can’t figure out how to do this]
Thank you so much

So, unless I am misunderstand, when a contact clicks on a specific link in an email, you want to apply a tag to them and then start a campaign.

In the email builder, when you have a link, you will find an icon just underneath that allows you to select (or create) a tag that you have in your system.

You then need a Tag Applied Goal in campaign builder, place the tag that you have on the link into the goal, this will now be able to trigger.

Now a few points

1. You can’t apply a tag to someone if they already have that tag, so if someone has the tag and then ‘gains’ it again this will not trigger the goal

2. The Tag goal does not need to be in the same campaign as the email that is triggering it

Hope that helps

Andy

1 Like

Thanks Andy,

But what happens if they don’t click the link?

Maybe a little more description of what I’m trying to do…

I have an opt-in freebie that has a 4-email nurture sequence. Each one of these emails has a link to subscribe to my newsletter. When one of these links is clicked, I want to add a tag so they can get my newsletter, but if the link isn’t clicked, I want to go to the next email.

I’m probably making this harder then it needs to be, but…

Thanks,
Dave