IS for event sales

How does IS work for event/seminar sales?
    ---
    Patrick Allmond,
    Livin' it up at Focus Consulting and StopDoingNothing
    Twitter Me: @patrickallmond
    On Google Plus, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
    405 283 6287 - Oklahoma City
    If you are in the area drop me a line some time

Infusionsoft Staff
    Patrick, did you ever get an answer for this? What are your specific needs around events?

No, but it was just a general question. I'd like to use IS instead of eventbrite for all of my event registration. I'll just have to start and see how it goes.
    ---
    Patrick Allmond,

It is a bit of a general question Patrick. Was there something specific you are thinking through.

David Holland
    Infusionsoft Certified Consultant
    Most Helpful Developer Partner of the Year 2012
    T: +44(0)844 995 2200
    E: david@exela.co.uk
    W: http://exela.co.uk

Does anyone require a deposit for a paid event? How would you handle the payment side of that in InfusionSoft with deposit charged immediately and balance charged to the credit card automatically the day before the event?

Not a clue I had not thought out the solution that far. More than likely I'd do small events ($<200) in IS and then I'd have to come up with something else. Or have two "products" for people to buy. The buy the first product which is the deposit, and are tagged as having placed a deposit. You can then email all of the tagged people to click on the product link for the remainder later. It then become pretty easy to nag those that have done one and not the other.
    ---
    Patrick Allmond,

poloskilz,

If you are only selling 1 ticket at a time you could do this...

1) It you create 2 products. 1 x Deposit for event (10%) and the other 1x Final Payment (90%).
    Then create a Product Bundle with Product 1x Final Payment in it.

Sell you event and put Deposit in the cart. As a Purchase Action assign a FUS which is Event Date Specific. Include any information in email or direct mail format that you want. Also put in and Action Set 1 day before event. This Action Set creates an order with Final Payment product bundle and autocharges.

This won't pick up the quantity from the first order...so limited value in the real world!

David Holland

Thanks David-

Justin answered something similar in a different post.

What you will want to do is setup your order form with a "Initial Deposit" product on it. This will allow the customer to pay the deposit on the horse training, as well as fill in a custom date field for the arrival date. Within your FUS that utilizes this custom date field, you will want to configure an action step that has the action to "Create an order". This order will have a product on it configured to handle the remaining amount due. Remember that this particular step can be configured to run X number of days before or after the date in your custom date field.
    Looks like you are both saying essentially the same thing. Thanks! I was stumped. Will give it a whirl.

I have some specific questions about using IS for event registration:

1) The person paying for an event may be different than the person attending the event. Can I collect that info on a Web Form and save both people as contacts?

2) Is it possible to post info about the event from a form on my website to an IS Web Form (e.g. create an event on the fly by posting an event name and date to the IS Web Form)?

3) Is there a way to customize "Products" so that they have options more like an event (i.e. start date/time, end date/time, maximum number of attendees)?

Thanks for any help on any of these, or any other work-arounds people have used for event registration.

Zach- We finally just broke down and are developing a Wordpress plug-in to create all the event functionality we need. Hope to have beta done next week. Seems surprising to me, given how many speakers and info marketers use InfusionSoft, that InfusionSoft doesn't have better support for events. Would love to hear about other people's workarounds.

poloskilz- A WordPress plugin sounds great - I'd love to take a look at the code when it's in beta, if you're opening it up to outsiders. We're getting ready to setup WordPress to run a blog on our site, and I've thought about migrating the whole thing to WP, because I custom coded the whole thing back before I knew the ease of working with WP.

Since we already have an event calendar setup on our website, what we're tentatively talking about doing at this point is having people click to register, collecting their name and email on our site, sending the info and the user to IS for billing, and then sending them an email with a link to a form where we can collect the rest of the info we need from them.

Essentially, we would ignore dates in the IS product system (the client would just pay for a certain type of event), and then we would tag the client with the date info, and use that date info to automat the necessary emails.

I am in desperate need of an event registration solution! We just completed an event and used IS for the online reg system. We found a serious issue for our particular situation - the majority of our attendees SHARE an email address with their spouse, so when they registered the 2nd person (spouse) it actually overrode the initial registration. I would love t know how the WP plug-in is coming along, as we have another event and I have to decide to either A) abandon IS for our registration (not my preference!) or B) find a way solve this issue.

How are other users, events, organizations resolving this issue? Thanks so much
    Jennifer

JenniferCox - I ended up going a little different direction with our registration and did a lot of custom coding. I figured out early on that going by an email address ran that potential problem, so I wrote our code to check for duplicates by email, and if there is a match to check first and last name. There's no way of doing that through the hosted Web Forms that I know of, but if you are hosting/processing your own forms I'd be happy to share the PHP code I used to do the check.

Jennifer- Here is another solution to your duplicate email problem. We had the same issue when my company ran on SalesForce. In the registration form, we had a link that said "Use the same email? Generate dummy email address" or something to that effect. It then generated a random string and appended it to our domain name, e.g. fgea893@domain.com and we used that. It worked because we knew the other spouse would get the email since it was a duplicate. Again, requires programming. Hope that helps.

This is not a "problem" as such but it looks like it is being treated as one. Why don't you somehow set up the registration so the person picks how many people they are registering and enters the name of each person? That would reflect reality. I don't think you want duplicate email addresses in your database do you?
    ---
    Patrick Allmond,

Zach - Webform can check against first and last as well as email, therby not overwriting the contact record.

There are 2 processes here (at least).

1) Selling tickets for money which needs a cart with variable qty.
    2) Registering delegates, which needs webforms.

There is no natural way to tie the number of delegates registered to tickets bought.

The process is complicated when a PA or Purchasing dept buy corporate tickets and the delegates unknown at that point!

David Holland

Sounds good - but HOW?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickAllmond View Post
    Why don't you somehow set up the registration so the person picks how many people they are registering and enters the name of each person? That would reflect reality. I don't think you want duplicate email addresses in your database do you?
    As noted by SalesExpert, I cannot find a way to connect # of seats purchased with # of names entered.

What I am thinking now is to add a shopping cart - where they purchase the correct # of tickets, and the cart ends on a webform URL where the enter the attendee names associated with that purchase. Again, if they pay for 4 tickets, and then enter 5 names, I have no way of correcting that except at the registration desk of the event, which creates unhappy customers, etc. Most folks are honest and will pay and enter the same amount...
    Just wish there was a way to do this that makes sense within IS without having to come up with a work around...

How were you thinking it could be done Patrick?

I'm just throwing out ideas. I can see how what I said wouldn't work.

Are you going to be doing the PHP programming? Because now I am wondering if (following your thought above) the receipt page can pass the number of items in the shopping cart to the next page. That next page could the display the number of 'name' fields that you needed which making them all required. That page could then go back into IS and insert those names.

This is really getting messy.
    ---
    Patrick Allmond,

Quote Originally Posted by patrickAllmond View Post
    the receipt page can pass the number of items in the shopping cart to the next page. That next page could the display the number of 'name' fields that you needed which making them all required. That page could then go back into IS and insert those names.
    This is exactly the solution I am using now. It was a little messy to program with PHP, but it's working great. There's one more security loophole that I haven't address very robustly to prevent people from registering more than they paid for (although our seminars are never above 50 people, so it's not hard to notice if something fishy is going on with the numbers): I couldn't figure out a way to pass a token from the order page to the next page where names are entered, so someone could potentially copy the URL of the name page (since the variables are there) and use it to register over and over again.

Please share PHP?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    JenniferCox - I ended up going a little different direction with our registration and did a lot of custom coding. I figured out early on that going by an email address ran that potential problem, so I wrote our code to check for duplicates by email, and if there is a match to check first and last name. There's no way of doing that through the hosted Web Forms that I know of, but if you are hosting/processing your own forms I'd be happy to share the PHP code I used to do the check.
    Sounds like you and I have similar needs! I would love to view the PHP that you are using. Did you code it, or have it created? I would very much appreciate whatever you are willing to share, as you are ahead of me on this adventure - and have already gone where I am trying to go. THANKS so much.

While are talking about this - is there a place online for IS users to share code snippets? If not should we create one?
    ---
    Patrick Allmond,

Yep...it is called the API forum!

David Holland